More issues have arisen in the BDO with one player in the form of Neil Duff, who reached the latter stages at the World Masters taking to Facebook to voice his displeasure that the prize money has not been paid three weeks after the event.
Duff said on the Facebook fan group for the BDO, ‘The Real BDO Fanatics’ about the issue and ended by saying ‘What other comp does that?’.
It remains to be seen whether this is an issue for all the players in the tournament but it remains a concern for fans of the BDO.
These concerns were heightened as well with Scott Mitchell, a former Lakeside World Champion taking to Twitter (in a since deleted tweet) saying that Des Jacklin has told players that if the O2 doesn’t go well on a finance side, there may be no BDO by February.
This has made planning for events like Mitchell alluded to even more difficult when the future of the organisation is in jeopardy.
Two players who are already planning for life outside the BDO are Dutch duo, Martijn Kleermaker and Richard Veenstra who have both signalled their intention to attempt Q-School.
Kleermaker in particular spoke to RTL7 saying that the “World Masters was an absolute catastrophe” and that after previously admitting that he wasn’t at the tournament because of work, he has come out and said that he didn’t want to go: “I just didn’t want to go to the Masters, the work excuse wasn’t true”
He added that the “running of majors is a mess” and that like him “A lot are off to Q-School” when it comes to it.
What happens to the BDO remains to be seen but all eyes will be on the Indigo at the O2 in January as the future is up in air after that.
The meanwhile deleted tweet about the future of the BDO. pic.twitter.com/VCpGC3yEDL
— Pieter Verbeek (@PVDarts180) November 15, 2019
Tags: BDO World Masters 2019
— Oche Balboa QC (not that QC) (@OcheBalboa1) November 15, 2019
Author: Samuel Gill