New twist in BDO saga as chairman Des Jacklin seizes World Championship trophy

BDO
Sunday, 21 February 2021 at 08:58
Wayne Warren BDO O2 400x288

BDO chairman Des Jacklin has seized the World Championship trophy from champion, Wayne Warren after a police investigation from South Wales Police.

Warren had been in possession of the trophy since becoming seemingly the last ever BDO World Champion in January last year and had no intention of handing the trophy back after the Welshman's prize money was cut to £23,000 from £100,000 when the tournament moved from the prestigious Lakeside to the Indigo at the O2.

But in a new twist in the BDO saga, Jacklin took to Facebook on Friday evening to reveal he made the nine hour round trip to retrieve the trophy on Friday and in the comments of his post which has now since been deleted, he said the same had occurred for Jim Williams' trophies that he still had in his possession.

He is also seemingly pursuing John O'Shea for his World Masters trophy after threatening to sue 'The Joker' last year alluding to it in the post by saying: "The Police found it to be unlawful for anyone to try and keep the property of the BDO, this is the same for ANY Trophy unreturned."

This all comes just under a year after BDO Enterprises Ltd (their commercial arm) entered liquidation which essentially ended more than 40 years of history in the amateur game.

The county system has since been taken over by the UKDA, while the WDF will run their own World Masters and World Championship this year with MAD also looking to begin their events after revealing their plans at the start of 2021.

jacklin post
claps 11visitors 8
9 Comments
richieburnettrocks 03 April 2022 at 23:53+ 1443

I hope Mikuru Suzuki still has her cup, can’t see JOKElin dealing with the fine Japanese authorities or being able to fly over there to retrieve it. Wouldn’t it be a shame if the cup went missing in Japan, I mean the BDO is rubbish so the cup could have ended up in the rubbish or hopefully lost in transit.....

Mysstree 03 April 2022 at 23:53+ 686

Why are the police not looking into potential fraud at the BDO with Warren as the tournament winner expecting £100,000 and only getting £23,000.

richieburnettrocks 17 March 2021 at 18:56+ 1443

So Despicable JOKElin can prance about with the cup, let’s all report it for an unnecessary trip breaking lock down procedure. Poor old Wayne Warren, the BDO is dead if it’s alive where is the money owed to Wayne ?

Benphill86 03 April 2022 at 23:54+ 8

What a joke this man is . In my opinion the trophy should be auctioned off and the proceeds split fairly between all the players who were underpaid. Good riddance to a shambles of a so called organisation which didn’t look after their players

Thomas Moffatt 17 March 2021 at 18:56+ 393

I wonder where he is going to get the money to sue John O'Shea? Last we heard the BDO went bust because it had none and if it is his own, why didn't he inject some of this capital into the BDO when they needed it most?

jameshope1966@gmail.com 17 March 2021 at 18:56+ 10

You should be under police investigation for breaching lockdown rules and hasn't it occurred to you Des the BDO is now defunct and the UKDA is running darts now you despicable man

Jimc. 17 March 2021 at 18:56+ 18

Of course my comment should have said 'Jacklin', but he is so much yesterday's man that even predictive text forgot his name.

Jimc. 03 April 2022 at 23:54+ 18

As someone who played darts for 40 years under the BDO, it is not very much alive, it is dead and buried by the group of cronies who destroyed it. Go back to sleep Mr Jackson.

j-weedon@sky.com 17 March 2021 at 18:56+ 18

So you had a nine hour drive, and you broke lockdown, don't know why you want them trophies they are no good now.

Just in

Popular news

Latest comments