The announcement from Raymond van Barneveld that he would temporarily step back from darts caused immediate shockwaves across the sport on Monday.
Speculation arose immediately that the five-time world champion was on the verge of a final farewell. Now however, Van Barneveld has felt compelled to clarify his earlier remarks. He stressed firmly that he is not retiring.
No World Matchplay
Speaking to NOS, the 59-year-old from The Hague made clear that quitting is absolutely not on the table. “All of England is in a frenzy,” said Van Barneveld. “They think I’m stopping, but this break basically means I won’t be playing the World Matchplay in July. It’s all dramatic at the moment.”
It had, however, long seemed likely that Van Barneveld would miss the prestigious World Matchplay. The Dutchman — a former finalist at this major — is enduring a very difficult season and has slipped far down the world rankings. As a result, he is well outside the qualification spots for the big TV tournament in Blackpool.
Barney didn’t spare himself in an interview with NU.nl on Monday. The former world champion spoke openly about his sporting struggles and even called 2025 “his worst year ever.” He added that he is “stuck in a cycle of suffering that just won’t stop.” Those comments immediately sparked speculation about a potential retirement from the sport.
“My phone hasn’t stopped ringing”
The reaction was huge, particularly from the United Kingdom. “My phone hasn’t stopped ringing,” said Van Barneveld. “Everyone thinks I’m quitting, but that’s absolutely not the case.”
Although Van Barneveld will skip some larger tournaments for now, he remains active on the PDC circuit. He confirmed he will keep playing Players Championship events in the coming period. On Monday he competed at a Players Championship in Leicester. He did skip the following day, but he is scheduled to return to the oche in early June at Players Championship 19 and 20.
Part of his absence has nothing to do with form or mindset. Van Barneveld will also miss some Euro Tour qualifiers due to a planned family vacation to Disneyland with his children. That means he will automatically skip at least one Euro Tour main event.
Raymond van Barneveld is currently 38th on the world rankings
Van Barneveld’s brief breather was tentatively flagged last week by Vincent van der Voort on the podcast Darts Draait Door. There, Van der Voort hinted that his close friend is struggling with motivation and results.
For Van Barneveld, the immediate goal appears to be finding calm and joy in the game again. The Dutchman won five world titles in his illustrious career and became one of the sport’s biggest icons. That is precisely why the news of a potential pause landed with such impact across the darts world.
A farewell, however, is not on the cards for now. “I’m absolutely not going to stop,” Van Barneveld reiterated. That reassures fans worldwide, though the question remains how quickly the Dutchman can rediscover his form.