The draw for this years’ World Matchplay has been revealed with defending champion Rob Cross set to face Gabriel Clemens in the first round.
Cross will defend his title at the World Matchplay starting against one of the most consistent players on the PDC ProTour in Gabriel Clemens who could provide a shock. The tournament will take place in a new venue in the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes – which was used for the PDC Summer Series with five Players Championship events being played behind closed doors.
The showpiece event will have the same fate with the PDC trying to get it to be held in its spiritual home of the Winter Gardens in Blackpool but Chief Executive, Matthew Porter described as a ‘bridge too far”.
Last year’s semi-finalist Glen Durrant will take on Jeffrey de Zwaan. A battle of the high scorers will see Dave Chisnall face Vincent van der Voort. Grand Slam of Darts champion Gerwyn Price will look to add the Phil Taylor trophy to his collection when he starts against Danny Noppert.
Draw 2020 World Matchplay
(1) Michael van Gerwen v Brendan Dolan
(16) Simon Whitlock v Ryan Joyce
(8) Gary Anderson v Justin Pipe
(9) James Wade v Keegan Brown
(5) Michael Smith v Jonny Clayton
(12) Mensur Suljovic v Jamie Hughes
(4) Rob Cross v Gabriel Clemens
(13) Krzysztof Ratajski v Jermaine Wattimena
(2) Peter Wright v Jose de Sousa
(15) Glen Durrant v Jeffrey de Zwaan
(7) Daryl Gurney v Ricky Evans
(10) Dave Chisnall v Vincent van der Voort
(6) Nathan Aspinall v Dimitri van den Bergh
(11) Ian White v Joe Cullen
(3) Gerwyn Price v Danny Noppert
(14) Adrian Lewis v Steve Beaton
Tags: Draw, World Matchplay
Betfred World Matchplay Draw https://t.co/zMqfPpO6Rp
— BETFRED (@Betfred) July 12, 2020
Author: Samuel Gill