Van Gerwen will not participate in new PDC Home Tour competition: "I cannot meet the requirements of the PDC"
Michael van Gerwen will not participate in the new PDC Home Tour competition, which was revealed last night to take place starting this Friday.
All Tour Card Holders have been given the opportunity to play in the PDC Home Tour; which will see four players in action every night.
A nightly league format will see all four competitors play each other once in matches played over the best of nine legs; with a winner crowned each night who will then go onto the next phase of the competition.
Players are not required to participate in the PDC Home Tour . For Van Gerwen he has since indicated to RTL7 that he will not participate.
“I cannot meet the requirements of the PDC. For example, it has to be quiet, but with a newborn baby, a child of 2.5 years and three dogs, it really won't work. It is also two match days in the month. My training hours with Vincent (van der Voort) are worth more," said Van Gerwen.
For MVG he was already sceptical over playing in home competitions and said the following to Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad last week: “As a PDC Tour Card holder, we are not allowed to participate in everything. And if that is allowed, then I only consider it when everything is correct. I’m a professional. It has to be good. The connection is often faltering. Moreover, it [the prize money] does not count for anything. That would not work for me either.''